About Me

My photo

Good evening, afternoon, or whatever time it happens to be there, ladies and gents! I happen to be Andy, who happens to be a freelance web designer, musician, writer, and whatnot.

Roman Catholic, student of tabletop gaming, and someday soon I'll have my own designs in the field!

Banner Ad

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dice Profiles: d12


Number of Sides: 12
Shape: dodecahedron
Famous For: RAWR! Barbarians LOVE d12 for hit point and big choppy axe! Sadly, it doesn't see much other use in Dungeons and Dragons, although Dominion Rules is a system based entirely around the d12. BoardGameGeek has a very short list of RPGs, most of which I'd never heard of, that use the d12 primarily.
Element: There's no exact correspondence of element here, as Plato neglected to give the dodecahedron a corresponding element. He mentioned, however, that it was used to "arrange the constellations", and there is also a fifth element (besides the traditional four) introduced later on, called "aether", which deals with the heavens. So, "aether" is a fairly good fit. Mysterious, up there, not one of the big guys.
My Take: I actually like the d12. It's not quite as massive as the d20, but it's got a nice shape, and isn't as tiny as, say, the d8. He's a nice little fella, and there's still potential there. I'd love to see more uses found for the d12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...